All Saints Church
46 Kb JPEG
(for the official All Saints Church Site, visit http://www.allsaints-greatholland.co.uk)
A short guide to All Saints Parish Church, Great Holland
(written by Simon Wallis)
As you approach the church, your first glimpse of it will be of the fine pre-Tudor red brick tower. This was built over a period of seven years between 1413 and 1420 and houses a ring of eight bells given by the Baron Bell Trust in 1930.
The original church also dated from 1413 but fell into such a state of disrepair that it was demolished in 1865.The foundation stone for the present church was laid on the 25th May 1866 and the church was rebuilt in that year to the designs of Sir Arthur Bloomfield.The majority of this work was paid for by the rector, Rev Richard Joyne.
The churchyard is entered by a lych gate built in the early 1930's. The timber is solid Suffolk oak from Redgrove Park, Suffolk. The tiles, all 1100 of them , came from a house in Colchester, now demolished, and the 500 bricks used in its construction were hand made at Marks Tey, near Colchester so that they would match those in the tower.
The church is entered through the South Porch, which was paid for as a gift by Mr Charles Hicks, who lived at Great Holland Hall next to the Church.
Once inside the church one of the first things you notice is the great Tower Arch. The lower oak screen with its diamond-paned glass and double doors was given by Mr Edgar Hodgkins, who lived at Woodcote,now Wood Hall, Church Lane around 1908-1909, in gratitude for a 'merciful recovery from a very serious operation'. The upper screen, also of oak, was added by public subscription in May 1966 to commemorate the centenary of the rebuilding of the church.
Near to the Tower Arch is the octagonal stone font, the cover of which was given in memory of Mr Harry Linefan Hodgkins by his wife after his death in 1917.
In 1979 when the north aisle roof needed renewing, two rows of pews were removed from the tower end to make its use more flexible. The windows in the north aisle still contain their original stained glass, the windows in the south wall of the nave also originally had stained glass in them (very similar in pattern to the Chancel windows). In 1955, when one of them needed repairing, it was decided that the stained glass in all three should be removed and replaced with plain glass to allow more light in. only the top three panels still contain the original stained glass.
The East window in the Chancel was the personal gift of the Rector, the Reverend Richard Joynes, and so he reserved the right to chose the artist. He chose the firm of Ward and Hughes, but insisted on making many alterations to their original designs. One thing to note is that in every scene Our Lord has his hands raised. The furniture and organ in the Chancel are all in oak (the organ having an oak case). The furniture was given in 1915 by a 'generous donor' but the organ was given in 1909 by Mr John Lyon Corser.
On the North wall of the Chancel is a large monument in memory of Henry George Rice, Rector of Great Holland. It was made by the sculptor 'Hinchcliff' and was removed from the old church before its demolition.
A tablet on the inside wall of the vestry records that it was added to the church in the summer of 1916.
In complete confidence
The donor was Mr Edgar E Hodgkins of Woodcote, now Wood Hall, Church Lane. The original vestry appears to have been a small room at the rear of the organ.
That Victory will be given us
An act of Faith and Thanksgiving
Try clicking on the angel or click here for a sombre thought-provoking moment.
For a history of All Saints Church Fete and the Rectory, again written by Simon Wallis,
try a look at the Fete page.
Picture of All Saint's Church kindly provided by Mike and Gill Harvey
Marina's Pot-pourri ·
Makeover pictures ·
Web Links ·
Our cat, Astra ·
Our Wedding Page ·
Our honeymoon in Ireland ·
Michael's Pages ·
Main Pages ·